Monday 12 March 2018

TASK 1F: Journal Writing Experience

TASK 1F: Journal Writing Experience


Having had time to get into the swing of writing my reflective journal it has been made clear that I have my own style of writing that sort of uses a variety of ways mentioned in the Module Handbook. This is similar to my discovery in TASK 1G for my Reflective Practice in which I discovered I use elements of reflective practitioners such as Kolb, Dewey and Schon's in my reflection in action as well as after the event to get a better result. I'm happy to see a correlation with my learning as I feel the best way to develop and improve is to use a variety of tools you have available! (That was slightly off topic, apologies)

I found certain ways of journal writing, when trying them out, far harder to extract feelings when reading the entries back than with others. The ways that were more personal and in the moment of a specific event helped me more to re-live the moment when looking back. I've decided to, in list form, briefly explain how I found the ways to write a journal.

Description: Being such a perfectionist, I initially thought that this would be my style of choice before trying the options. The entry from this style was detailed in exactly what happened, where, and even had mention of me wearing a "short sleeved white shirt, rolled up at the arms with black jeans and boots". But in terms of reflections on how I felt and what I feel went well it lacked. I could see the audition room again, the panel, the pianist, but could not recall my feelings or the vibe I was getting from the product team. It's a great way to remember a place and layout, although in terms of reflection, other than the detail of the event and guide to recalling the steps of it, feelings for me seem detached.

Initial Reflection: As I mentioned (unintentionally) in my TASK 1G post, this is the way I mostly structure my entries. For me it's freshly written down, explains how I felt through each part and is aware of how my actions changed from the reaction of the panel. However at some points I found the entry to be too vague on the build up pre and post the event, but was great at revisiting my mood and feelings!

List: Everyone that knows me will know I LOVE a list! I have them for everything - to do, shopping, things I want to achieve, places I want to travel, restaurants I want to eat in... ect ect. But at the end of this entry I found I had a huge list of things and feelings that went through my head, what I saw, everything I did... and then saw I should make an extended list! Ha. I couldn't get to like this method at all no mater how much I love listing things. It was a huge collection of nothingness by the end with no specific detail or emotion attached with any of it. Lists will be something I leave for my shopping...

Evaluation: For me Evaluation was by far the best way of writing! It encompasses all aspects in a easy to note down way with good detail:feeling ratio that wasn't hard to recall at a later date. Unlike 'Description' writing it was more summative and gave a better idea of the whole day where detailed thoughts where important. This is now a large influence on how I will structure future entries.


Those were the ones I successfully tried, the other three really didn't work for me! I believe this to be as I was following the order of the module guide. By the time I got to the last 3 I already had a very strong idea of how my entries would now be structured. Mostly following the Evaluation and Initial Reflection ideas. I feel so much happier about my own entries having tried a range of styles, that's what's so great about uniqueness, what works well for one doesn't necessarily work for all. I'm looking forward to reading comment and blogs about others findings on this task to understand better others approaches!



H x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Module 2: One.

Module 2: One. As explained in my previous post I will be blogging about questions that have often come up in discussions with people i...