Sunday 8 April 2018

TASK 1I: Current Networks

TASK  1I: Current Networks


From virtually everyone I'm introduced to who isn't an actor (and even some that are) they say the phrase 'It's not what you know, it's WHO you know'. I hear it nearly every day, and as the acting industry is so well connected....it's not untrue. Myself, I would say I'm fairly well connected to what is going on and have made sure I've kept up to date since leaving Italia Conti in 2014. Having worked various temp jobs in the most hideous of London stores I've met loads of really close friends who have done the same as it such a good and flexible way for performers to earn money and still have all the time off you need for jobs, classes and auditions. This (without me knowing it at the time) really broadened my friendship group to not only actors, but opera singers, comedians, dancers and even fire breathers all from various training places around London. Keeping in touch with these friends through coffee catch ups, Web 2.0 platforms, bumping into them around the city and various other ways is a fantastic tool for keeping my knowledge up to date. I fill them in with what I know and they do the same, so the pool of knowledge keeps growing. Like a ripple effect. 
As well as this, a few of the people I've made friends with over my time doing temp work are now in films, T.V shows, Adverts, Westend Musicals and one is now a back up dancer for Rihanna! 

As performing is my passion I'm regularly at the theatre seeing new material, it makes for a great talking point should I get chatting with a director or producer and shows I'm knowledgeable about what it on currently. This combined with using social media to follow various theatre influencers and performers really helps keep on top of the ever changing direction of the industry. Like most performers I have a film reel and a vocal reel which are viewable on my Spotlight page as well as on Casting Call Pro and Youtube, these ways of showing my work are practically VITAL in order to get seen for a casting with the Internet being such a widely used phenomenon. 

Lastly I'm a member of a creatives only members club with houses to meet, catch up, eat, relax and work from in a creative and friendly environment. I love attending the clubs and always feel so much more at ease with creatives around me. Here I've met countless people of influence and status within the industry! I'm not saying I've had dinner with them and chatted about life....but they have seen my face and got an idea of my personality through being situated close on tables. Should my C.V and head shot appear on their desk for a casting, there is a good chance my face will be remembered and I'll be called in for a casting. (That may sound unrealistic, but I've know it happen many times!)

After really thinking about my current networks, I don't actually think there are other ways I could I could use that I'm not doing already! That is not to say I'm using my current way to their full potential. In preparation for this module I've looked through friends and colleague's way for networking and have come to the conclusion I should consider: 

1) Posting more online:
I'm always singing! Always. As well as dancing, choreographing and going over monologues. I should be recording these and posting them online on my professional social media 2.0 platforms to show what I'm working on for comments and feedback. 

2) Finding a Choral Singing Class:
There are so many classes out there for dance, but there isn't a class (I'm aware of) where you practise ensemble songs and work on harmonies! This is something I really want to find as it would be a great way to keep fresh a skill that SO many find difficult! It really could be the make or break at an audition. This will also broaden my group of colleagues and acquaintances.

3) Switch up my singing teachers every now and then:
Doing this will help to get a more rounded critique on my technique and delivery which is great for me as well as good for auditions! Although my current teacher is fantastic, I'm very comfortable around them and that can sometimes lead to complacency! I have colleagues with various teachers and should consider using that as a tool to develop in this area.


During this task I've tried to include knowledge learnt during my previous research and tasks to get better rounded information. Ive used my so far learnt skills in Tasks far more that I thought I would, which is so nice to see. Really feel like I'm learning something!


H x






    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Module 2: One.

Module 2: One. As explained in my previous post I will be blogging about questions that have often come up in discussions with people i...